37 Thought Provoking Quotes on Education & Teaching
From Einstein to Roosevelt, Ford to Gandhi; here are 37 thought provoking quotes on education , learning, and teaching. My personal favorite is #9. What’s yours?
- Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence.
– Abigail Adams
- Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school.
– Albert Einstein
- The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don’t tell you what to see.
– Alexandra K. Trenfor
- My contention is that creativity now is as important in education as literacy, and we should treat it with the same status.
-Sir Ken Robinson
- The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.
– B.B. King
- The only person who is educated is the one who has learned how to learn …and change.
– Carl Rogers
- Children want the same things we want. To laugh, to be challenged, to be entertained, and delighted.
– Dr. Seuss
- Every student can learn. Just not on the same day or in the same way.
– George Evans
- If you think you can do a thing, or think you can’t do a thing; you’re right.
– Henry Ford
- Learning is the only thing the mind never exhausts, never fears, and never regrets.
-Leonardo da Vinci
- Intelligence plus character–that is the goal of true education.
-Martin Luther King, Jr.
- It is in fact a part of the function of education to help us escape, not from our own time — for we are bound by that — but from the intellectual and emotional limitations of our time.
- Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
- I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better.
- The mind is not a vessel to be filled, but a fire to be kindled.
- Formal education will make you a living; self-education will make you a fortune.
- A teacher affects eternity; he can never tell where his influence stops.
-Henry Brooks Adams
- A man who has never gone to school may steal from a freight car; but if he has a university education, he may steal the whole railroad.
- You will either step forward into growth, or you will step backward into safety.
- Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young.
- The purpose of education is to replace an empty mind with an open one.
- The whole purpose of education is to turn mirrors into windows.
-Sydney J. Harris
- Education is learning what you didn’t even know you didn’t know.
-Daniel J. Boorstin
- Don’t limit a child to your own learning, for he was born in another time.
- The foundation of every state is the education of its youth.
- Good questions outrank easy answers.
- Aim for success, not perfection. Never give up your right to be wrong, because then you will lose the ability to learn new things and move forward with your life. Remember that fear always lurks behind perfectionism.
-Dr. David M. Burns
- All of the top achievers I know are life-long learners. Looking for new skills, insights, and ideas. If they’re not learning, they’re not growing and not moving toward excellence.
- You learn something every day if you pay attention.
- Much education today is monumentally ineffective. All too often we are giving young people cut flowers when we should be teaching them to grow their own plants.
-John W. Gardner
- They may forget what you said but they will never forget how you made them feel.
- Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance.
- I like a teacher who gives you something to take home to think about besides homework.
- A teacher is one who makes himself progressively unnecessary.
- An education isn’t how much you have committed to memory, or even how much you know. It’s being able to differentiate between what you know and what you don’t.
- The difference between school and life? In school, you’re taught a lesson and then given a test. In life, you’re given a test that teaches you a lesson.
- My idea of education is to unsettle the minds of the young and inflame their intellects.
-Robert Maynard Hutchins